R&B Singer R. Kelly Pleads Not Guilty to Sexual Assault Charges

김동수 / 기사승인 : 2019-03-07 16:28:03
[Photo source : Envedette via Google]
[Photo source : Envedette via Google]


[스페셜경제= Dongsu Kim]R&B star R. Kelly pleaded not guilty to allegations that he sexually assaulted three teenage girls and a woman in incidents that goes back to 1998, just weeks following a television documentary pressed new accusations against the singer.


According to a Reuters report, the Grammy-winning performer was charged in a 10-count indictment that a Cook County grand jury in Chicago returned on Friday, which was later submitted to the police. If found guilty, Kelly would be convicted to seven years in prison for each count, according to the report.


A $1 million bond was set on Saturday as the singer was still in detainment over the weekend. Kelly appeared in a Chicago courtroom on Monday before Associate Judge Lawrence Flood and only spoke to affirm his name; Robert Sylvester Kelly. Steven Greenberg, Kelly's lawyer, stated a not guilty plea on his client's behalf.


Speaking to reporters, Greenberg maintained that Kelly did not do anything wrong and that no one has yet to show evidence of the allegations made against him. The singer was released from custody several hours after a friend paid a $100,000 bail, according to county sheriff’s spokeswoman Sophia Ansari.


Prosecutors stated Kelly's alleged victims include a teenager that he met when she asked for an autograph during the singer's 2008 trial on charges of child pornography, which he was acquitted of. He met another one of his alleged victims during her 16th-birthday party while the last is his hairdresser, who was 24 years old at the time of alleged incident. The prosecutors added that a fourth charge was made based on a videotape that explicitly showed Kelly and a 14-year-old engaging in sexual acts.


Attorney Michael Avenatti, who claims to represent two of the accusers in the indictment and a third alleged victim, said that he had submitted another videotape to prosecutors earlier on Monday, prior to the hearing. The second tape was dated around 2000 and also showed a 14-year-old girl, but Avenatti did not say if it was the same girl as in the first video. He said he got both tapes from two "whistleblowers" that he also represents, although his clients have yet to appear in either video.



R&B 가수 R. 켈리, 성범죄 혐의 부인하다


[스페셜경제= 김동수 기자]한 텔레비전 다큐멘터리에 의해 새로운 의혹이 제기되었던 R&B 스타 알 켈리는 1998년에 10대 소녀 3명과 한 여성을 성폭행했다는 주장에 대해 무죄를 주장했다.


로이터 통신의 보도에 따르면, 그래미 수상자인 알 켈리에 대해 10장의 공소장이 환송된 시카고의 쿡 카운티(Cook County) 대배심에서 발급되었고, 이후 경찰에 전달되었다. 기사에 따르면 유죄가 확정되면 알 켈리는 기소 당 7년의 징역형을 받게 된다.


그는 주말 동안 구류되어 있었고, 100만 달러의 보석금이 설정되었다. 이후 시카고 법정에 출석하여 로렌스 플러드(Lawrence Flood) 판사 앞에서 자신의 이름인 '로버트 실베스터 켈리(Robert Sylvester Kelly)'를 확인하는 진술만 했다. 켈리의 변호사인 스티븐 그린버그(Steven Greenberg)는 의뢰인을 대신하여 무죄의 탄원을 진술했다.


그린버그는 기자들에게 켈리는 무죄이며 아무도 혐의에 대한 증거를 보여주지 않았다고 주장했다. 카운티 보안관 소피아 안사리(Sophia Ansari) 대변인에 따르면, 알 켈리는 한 친구가 10만 달러의 보석금을 낸 지 몇 시간 만에 구류에서 풀려났다.


검찰은 알 켈리가 무죄를 선고받은 2008년 아동 포르노 혐의 재판 중 사인을 요청한 10대 청소년이 피해자 중 한 명이라고 주장했다. 또한 그는 다른 피해자를 피해자의 16살 생일 파티에서 만났으며, 마지막 피해자는 사건 당시 24살이었던 그의 미용사였다. 검찰은 알 켈리가 14세 청소년과 성행위를 하는 장면이 담긴 비디오테이프를 근거로 네 번째 혐의를 적용했다고 덧붙였다.


공소장 중 2명과 3번째 피해자를 변호하는 마이클 아베나티(Michael Avenatti) 변호사는 증언 청취에 앞서 다른 비디오테이프를 검찰에 제출했다고 말했다. 두 번째 테이프는 2000년 전후에 촬영되었고 14세 소녀도 등장했지만 아베나티는 첫 번째 동영상에서와 같은 소녀인지는 밝히지 않았다. 그는 비록 의뢰인들이 아직 두 비디오에 등장하지는 않았지만, 그가 변호하는 두 명의 '내부고발자'로부터 두 개의 테이프를 얻었다고 말했다.


[ⓒ 스페셜경제. 무단전재-재배포 금지]

김동수
다른기사보기
  • 카카오톡 보내기
뉴스댓글 >