Intel Withdraws From 5G Smartphone Market Following Apple-Qualcomm Settlement

국제 / 김동수 기자 / 2019-04-25 16:19:45
  • 카카오톡 보내기

 

 

▲ [Photo source : Wikimedia Commons]

[스페셜경제= Dongsu Kim] Intel announced on Tuesday that it will be dropping out from the 5G smartphone market, hours following Qualcomm and Apple's announcement of a six-year licensing agreement as one of the conditions of a royalty settlement.

The tech company will continue to deliver its current commitments to customers for its 4G smartphone modem lineup but will not launch the succeeding 5G modem products in the smartphone market, "including those originally planned for launches in 2020," Intel said in a Tuesday statement, as per a CNBC report.

Intel saw shares climb about four percent to $58.97 in extended trading following its announcement of withdrawal. It said it will release additional information regarding its plans in its earnings report later this month.

The CNBC report stated that the firm's naming of Robert Swan as permanent CEO in January put an end to the months-long hunt for the position after Brian Krzanich was ousted. It added that Swan now has the responsibility to look for markets for Intel as sales of personal computers continue to decline.

Aside from exiting the 5G smartphone markets, the company also said it's sizing up its future in the so-called "internet of things" devices—the escalating number of gadgets that are now connected to the web, the business news site said.

"It has become apparent that there is no clear path to profitability and positive returns,” Swan said, pertaining to Intel's fate in the smartphone market. The tech firm previously warned that margins for the device market are lower compared to data centers, and added that it will keep looking into its 5G network infrastructure enterprise.

Earlier on the same day, a Qualcomm disclosure stated Apple will pay the chip company as part of a settlement deal—a new license between the two firms for six years along with a two-year option to extend. The chipmaker's shares went up 23 percent after the announcement. It is the biggest independent supplier of 5G modems.

 

인텔, 애플-퀄컴 합의에 따라 5G 스마트폰 시장에서 철수

[스페셜경제= 김동수 기자] 인텔(Intel)이 5G 스마트폰 시장에서 물러날 것이라고 발표했다. 퀄컴(Qualcomm)과 애플(Apple)이 6년 동안의 라이선스 계약을 발표함에 따른 로열티 조건 중 하나다.

인텔은 4G 스마트폰 모뎀 라인업을 이용하는 고객들에게는 계속해서 서비스를 제공할 것이지만 2020년 출시 예정이던 5G 모뎀 제품은 시장에 출시하지 않는다고 성명서를 통해 발표했다.

인텔이 철수를 발표하자 회사 주식은 약 4% 올라 58.97달러(약 6만 7,300원)를 기록했다.이 회사는 이달 말 실적 보고서를 발표해 자사 계획에 대한 추가 정보를 공개할 예정이다.

CNBC의 보도에 따르면, 이 회사는 지난 1월 로버트 스완을 CEO로 임명한 바 있다. 스완이 인텔의 개인용 컴퓨터 판매 감소에 대한 책임을 지고 있는 셈이다.

인텔은 5G 스마트폰 시장에서 철수하는 것 외에도 소위 사물인터넷(IoT) 기기 수를 점차 늘리는 방식으로 회사의 미래를 조율하고 있다.

스완은 스마트폰 시장에서의 인텔의 운명과 관련해 "승정적인 수익성에 대한 확실한 길은 없다는 것이 분명해졌다"고 말했다. 이 회사는 이전에도 디바이스 시장이 데이터 센터와 비교해 마진이 낮다고 말한 바 있다.

한편 애플과 퀄컴은 소송을 전격 취하하고 퀄컴이 앞으로 애플의 5G 스마트폰에 들어갈 칩을 공급하는 등의 내용을 합의했다. 이 발표 이후 퀄컴의 주식이 23%나 오르기도 했다. 퀄컴은 5G 모뎀에 대한 최대 독립 공급 업체다.

[ⓒ 스페셜경제. 무단전재-재배포 금지]

김동수 기자
김동수 기자
이메일 다른기사보기
  • 카카오톡 보내기
뉴스댓글 >

스페셜 기획